Wednesday, April 29, 2015

March & April 2015 Book Review


At the beginning of April, I decided I was going to challenge myself to read for 30 minutes each day something that was for pleasure.  As a teacher, I often am reading young adult literature or things for school, but I wanted this to be unrelated to work for the most part.  One of the expectations I have for my fifth graders is that they read 150 minutes/week outside of school, so I figured I should give it a try!  It is definitely a habit I need to work on.  Many days, I did 30+ minutes...many other days, I was just too tired, distracted, or busy to get this accomplished.  Needless to say, this will continue to appear on my monthly goal list!  :)  Here are some of the books I finished in the past two months.

I'm warning you: it's a very random assortment :)

You all, this is my first experience with Liane Moriarty, and let me assure you - it will not be my last.  I loved her.  The Husband's Secret was SO good.  Written from the perspectives of multiple main characters who collide together in various ways in their small town.  I couldn't put it down.

Ok, I know I'm going to get slack for this - but I didn't love The Fault in Our Stars.  My 14-year-old stepdaughter has been urging me to read it for more than a year.  I read other bloggers raving about it.  I finally sat down to read it, and it was just ok.  I don't love sad books, so maybe that's why I didn't love it... I really don't know.  Anyway, I'm glad I read it and am looking forward to watching the movie this weekend when Kaitlyn comes down.  :)

I love me some Elin Hilderbrand.  Beautiful Day is a beachy summer read... or a rainy, Iowa, spring day read.  :)  It's about a woman planning her wedding with the help of her large, crazy family and a journal her deceased mother left for her.  It takes place on Nantucket Island - which just makes me feel warm and cozy inside.  I loved it.

For some reason, I always stayed away from Grisham because I assumed he wrote scary books.  Turns out, they're not scary at all.  This was my first Grisham book and I can't wait to pick up another one.  The Racketeer is an intriguing story of a convicted felon serving time in prison who happens to have some information the FBI would love to have.  I couldn't stop turning pages - it was really good!

Another party I'm quite late to - Gone Girl has been a novel everyone and their mom is raving about.  One of my best friends insisted I read this, so I did - and when I finished the book, I texted her to tell her I'd like to punch her in the face for making me read that.  :)  It was like a terrible train accident I couldn't stop watching.  The main female character is C.R.A.Z.Y. - and the ending of this book left me infuriated because there was no closure.  Aside from the last 10 pages, I loved it.


This little book is a quick read about a quaint little bookstore owner named A.J. Fikry.  It just made me want to walk down Main Street and stop in little shops to observe the lives of the people who own them.



And a return to my new homegirl, Elin Hilderbrand for The Matchmaker.  All of her novels take place on Nantucket Island, which is where she actually lives.  Her characters are incredible and I just fall in love with all of them.  This particular novel is about a life-long Nantucket resident who {as you may have guessed from the title} is responsible for tons of couples who have fallen in love, gotten married, divorced and everything in between.  Another fun summer read.  :)

I'm really quite certain I've forgotten at least one book I've read this spring - but I'll just have to be better about writing them down next month.  I have a crazy pile of books waiting to be read - can't wait to share them with you next month, friends!

Happy Reading -

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you are saying about The Fault In Our Stars, but don't give up on John Green just yet - he does tend to have sad books - Looking for Alaska is one of them - but the one I love the most is Paper Towns (also conveniently just turned into a movie.... )

    ReplyDelete